Monday, September 22, 2008

I am naive

I am many things. Short tempered, nice, angry, unforgiving, generous, I could go on (stop me..stop me... ). Am not in self-denial (almost all of the time). Failing to get my butt off the chair and do my medical checkup, thinking that I am in perfect health, isnt self-denial. I think I am in good health.

But, I am also naive. Naive to think that the right people will always do all the right things always. That people holding positions of authority will act fearlessly, impartially, as custodians of the trust given.

Two months ago, I shot off an email enquiring why a certain project was undertaken by a professional body ( who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons). This professional body wanted to present awards to top achievers of certain public school exams. However, no mention was made in their literature on the amount, the number of awards nor the criteria for assessing the achievment. Nor whether it was going to be a yearly affair. Perhaps because the financial state of the body was healthy nobody thought about these issues. The awards however was restricted solely on members of the body.

All nominations were supposed to be sent within a few days to a person within the committtee.

The function went on, 3 awards given and now its been 2 months and there has been no reply.

It seems, about RM50 was given to each student. Now, personally, I thought RM50 wasnt a big deal. Small amount for fairly well-to-do members/parents. Perhaps the RM50 would have been a major bonus for a poor high achiever. I was also told the two of the kids had a parent sitting in the committee. One of whom received and compiled the nominations. All these info surfaces, after I had sent my first email.

Now, I regret sending the email. And regret sending a reminder earlier today on why theres been no reply for two months. It is moments like this that I feel the crab in me wanting to go sit quietly under a coconut shell or rock, and watch the world pass by.

On a lighter note, two straight nights at Cabana last weekend! It was fun. To just stand there and feel the vibrations (and secondary smoke). To just not think of anything. To just listen to the music. It was a nice escape from the real world.

No comments: