Saturday, December 18, 2004

That morning, on the 13th of December, i got both my kids ready early in the morning and brought them to dad's place by 9 or thereabout. Dad had started to vomit anything that he was drinking or eating. He was very weak but was able to talk and move. I did some carrot and pear juices and gave him a bit. By 11 i told mum i would go to office to sort some things, and come back. And by 3 plus when i did get back, i was shaken. He had lost control of himself and was very very weak. Mum had struggled a lot to take care of him. My two daughters helped her a lot, according to Mum. Dad's blood pressure had dropped a lot. Something in the region of 70s - 30s. I called up Dr Ravi, a close family friend whom Dad considered as a son, and a brother to me. He said to drive to the hospital immediately. We cleaned him up and got all his things ready. By 5, my brother and i carried Dad to my car and we were off.

By 6pm we were there. Dr Ravi was there too. Dad was very weak. He had a chest infection and was badly dehydrated. He was able to talk still. They admitted him in and my brother stayed overnight. Took mum back home to get the easy chair for brother to lie down in, and a blanket. We reached there again around 9pm. And dad mentioned to mum, why she had to come at that hour. Those were to be his last words to her.

That night, he didnt sleep much, am told. By 8plus in the morning i was there to take over from my brother. Dad looked so very weak. At that time, he requested for 100plus (a drink). Brother said, nurses had said no drinks. Dad mentioned doctors said it was ok to drink. I compromised and told him to gargle and spit. Dad took a sip with the straw and just drank it. I was later to know that he had asked my brother for a drink earlier. And he was not given. Theres this cultural significance where the dying person normally asks for a sip of water and thereafter goes peacefully away. None of us understood then that, or whether this was the moment he was supposed to leave.

Within an hour, by 10 or thereabout, his lips was dry. I took a towel, wet it and wiped his lips. Asked him to bite the towel and sip the water. He did. Then he started slurring a bit. The chest infection was very bad. Could not understand what he was saying. His drip line on the chest was giving way and the doctors and nurses were about to change it. I was asked to move a way. As they were starting, they started to tap his hands, call out to him.. setting the torch to his eyes. I was bewildered. Shaken. Soon enough they were doing the cpr.. chest compressions to revive him. His heart had failed.

I phoned up Dr Ravi, and he rushed from his O&G clinic. Within minutes he was there and was trying frantically with the rest to revive dad. They had curtained off the bed. That only allowed me to see glimpses. Glimpses most wouldnt want to see. They revived the heart and put Dad on the ventilator. They were putting him on the maximum level of drugs to keep the body going and hope the infection subsided.

Dr came out and told me to be strong. It was best to inform everyone, family and friends. Dad was in a critical state. No one knew how long his body could take it.

No comments: